Tuesday's Dr. Visit

On a more serious note, this past Tuesday Tim and I went to the Dr. for some preliminary screening of baby Bickerstaff. They did a blood test and a detailed set of sonograms to determine if the baby has any chance of having Down’s Syndrome, and/or a bunch of other conditions. During the Sonogram, the technician said that everything looked very, very good. We also measured the blood clot and it was very small. (yes, it was still there though…) After the nice long sonogram where we were able to watch the baby kick and punch and jump around, I had some blood drawn for the rest of the test. Then I met with a Doctor. (My Doctor was not available so I met with yet another Dr. I have now met with 4 different Doctors in that practice!) As soon as the Dr. walked in, he told me that he was reviewing my chart before he came in and that “I HAD the largest blood clot during pregnancy that he has ever personally seen!” Then we talked about how small it is now and how positive everything looks. (He feels that by looking at the sonograms, baby Bickerstaff will probably end up with a negative reading on the blood tests. *negative is good* We have to wait a week to find out though.)
We are now labeled as “having less than 1% chance of miscarriage!” Whew, what a relief. We are out of the woods now and can enjoy this pregnancy like most families get to. (well kinda) I also have the Dr’s approval to start moving about again as usual and start getting back in shape. I have not really done anything at all for the last 3 months, and boy can I tell. Time to get the old heart back in shape. Looks like the dogs will get to go on many, many walks! Along with every positive in life, there is always a negative. I have learned this lesson well. So the positive is that we are not a high risk pregnancy anymore, the negative is that I have to wait a month till my next doctor’s visit, and that will not even be a sonogram. My next sonogram is not for 2 full months! Two full months of not seeing baby Bickerstaff move and kick and play! One full month until I get to hear the beautiful heartbeat again! And equally important, two full months until we are able to find out the sex of the baby! I am not sure if I can make it! We have not bought a thing for the baby as of yet. I want to wait and find out the sex before we start the spending and designing of the nursery. I am so excited I can hardly wait! (For those interested, during this past sonogram, I asked the technician to try and look for any anatomy at all, even thought it is a few weeks early. At the end of our visit, she said that if she had to make a prediction at this early in the game, she would guess a girl. Now, this could just be due to the lack of any signs of anything yet, but if it is a boy, he could just be a late bloomer, or “it” could just be really tiny right now. Again, you really are not supposed to be able to see those things until about 18 weeks.) I can not wait to find out either way. I am so excited, although I think “Daddy” is leaning toward wanting a boy…
Now that the first trimester is officially over, ended on Thursday, It is also time to figure out how to tell my boss and get all the details for maternity leave. Welcome second Trimester!!


2 Comments:
Glad to see things are progressing well. Know that we think of you often and miss you both very much.
Hope to see you soon!
Blog patrol here... WE NEED AN UPDATE. How about 100 things about Angel????? We are all on a roll and we need you to step it up. I know you are "tired" and all but come on... stay up past 6pm one night and share with us. We love you and need a little Angel!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home